Recipe ingredients and directions:
Yield: 8 servings
1/2 lb Bacon,packaged
2 T Oil,vegetable
2 Onions,med,coarsely chopped
1 Celery stalk,coarse chopped
1 Bell pepper(s)
2 lb Top beef sirloin,1" cubes
1 lb Beef,hamburger grind
1 lb Pork,hamburger grind
4 T Red chile,hot,ground
3 T Red chile,mild,ground
2 Garlic cloves,med,fine chop
1 T Oregano,dried,pref. Mexican
1 t Cumin,ground
2 cn Beer,pref. Aus.(12oz ea)
1 cn Tomatoes,whole(14 1/2oz ea)
3 t Brown sugar
1 Boomerang(opt but authentic)
1. Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Drain the strips on
paper toweling and cut into 1/2" dice and reserve.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions,
celery, and green pepper and cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Combine all the beef and pork with the ground chile, garlic,
oregano, and cumin. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot. Break
up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the
meat is evenly browned.
4. Add the beer, tomatoes, and reserved bacon to the pot. Bring to a
boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
Wave a boomerang over the pot 14 times each hour from this point on.
(This is definitely optional adding no noticeable flavor, just a
touch of authenticity and humor.) Stir for 3 minutes. Taste, adjust
seasonings, and add more beer if desired. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours
5. Add the brown sugar and simmer for 15 minutes longer, vigorously
waving the boomerang over the pot.
Category: Australian Recipes