On this episode of Dollar Meals Jack prepares one of his favorite Indian chickpea dishes in the versatile slow-cooker… the bargain chefs best friend!
More From Dollar Meals:
Recipe Directions | Slow-Cooker Indian-Style Chickpea
What You’ll Need:
1 lb. dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (.99)
1 quart water
4 cups dry rice, preferably basmati (.60)
2 bunches of kale (.98)
1 bunch cilantro, royal basil or mint (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon each of salt, whole cumin, black caraway, ajwan seed, fennel seed
1 anise star (total cost: $.50)
Serves 6 (freezes well). Prices are approximations and assume all purchases are made on-sale, at ethnic or farmers markets, online, or by bulk. Actual costs will vary depending on your locale and assiduousness.
How to Make It:.
1. Place chickpeas, water, and all seasoning in slow cooker. Turn on low and cook for 4 hours.
2. At four hours, check: if chickpeas are soft but a little al dente, it’s finished; if they need more time, check every hour until they have the desired consistency.
3. When the chickpeas are fully cooked, if there is too much residual water, pulse with a hand blender to absorb the liquid.
4. Serve over rice, and with sautéed kale either on the side or mixed in.
5. Sprinkle with minced fresh herbs (optional).
Welcome to Babble’s YouTube Channel, a video destination for a new generation of parents. We are dedicated to telling the truth about parenting, to bypass the clichés and dig into the magical and maddening reality.
Connect with Babble Online:
Visit Babble WEBSITE: http://bit.ly/16NFw0K
Like Babble on FACEBOOK: http://bit.ly/11sKy2x
Follow Babble on TWITTER: http://bit.ly/14cmjpQ
Add Babble on GOOGLE+: http://bit.ly/Xvw4Zc
Follow Babble on INSTAGRAM: http://bit.ly/10t077S
Slow-Cooker Chickpeas Indian-Style | Dollar Meals with Jack Murnighan | Babble
Video Rating: 4 / 5