Recipe ingredients and directions:
4 ts Unsalted butter
4 ts Currant or grape jelly
Whites of 9 large eggs, at
1/2 c Vanilla sugar
Zest of 1/2 lemon, grated
Yolks of 4 eggs
1/4 c Granulated sugar
1/2 c Sifted all purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Place four 9-inch oval au gratin dishes (or one large oval glass
lasagna pan) on a baking sheet. In each small dish place 1 teaspoon of
butter and 1 teaspoon of jelly. (If you are using a lasagna pan, smear the
bottom with the butter and then with the jelly.
3. Combine the egg whites, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest in a large metal
bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the granulated sugar. Gently fold the egg
yolks and flour into the meringue. Use a spatula to place three large
mounds of the mixture into each au gratin dish. Smooth the surface of each
and bake for 8 minutes, until puffed and golden.
5. Serve immediately. This is especially good with Vanilla Sauce, warm
Chocolate Sauce, or cold Strawberry Sauce (recipes separately).
Category: Austrian Recipes