Vegetarian Shepherds Pie (Lower salt)
Today, we show you how to make a tasty vegetarian shepherds pie that is lower in salt!
Our special low sodium products we used are:
-Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth “Low Sodium” (140mg per 1 cup)
*The rest of the ingredients we used are little to no sodium
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
32 ounce package mixed vegetables
12-14 ounce package pearl onions
1-2 packages MorningStar crumbles
4-8 ounces shredded cheese of your choice
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
no salt seasoning to taste
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1″ pieces and submerge them into a large pot of cold water. *A pasta pot with a strainer work well.
2. Bring the pot with the potatoes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to a slow boil and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain the potatoes and pour into a mixing bowl.
4. Add the butter into the potatoes and roughly mash with a masher until well incorporated.
5. Start by pouring half of the milk into the mixture as well as your seasonings and continue mashing with a masher or you can whip them using an electric mixer until well incorporated and set aside.
6. In a large casserole dish mix the rest of your ingredients in except the cheese; frozen vegetables, pearl onions, crumbles, garlic, vegetable broth, and seasonings. Mix well and pat down.
7. Add as much cheese as your want to your mashed potatoes and spread them evenly on top of the vegetable crumble mixture.
8. Place the shepherds pie into a 375F oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Eat and enjoy!